Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting SB NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Kingswinford woman died of overdose, inquest hears
5:00pm Thursday 22nd August 2013 in News
A KINGSWINFORD woman died after overdosing on her partner’s medication, an inquest heard.
Kamalijit Kaur Gill, aged 43, of Keepers Close, died at Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley, on April 14.
Dudley Coroners Court heard Miss Gill had a history of depression, drank heavily and considered calling the Samaritans a week before her death.
Her partner Kelvin Lewis said on the night she died, Miss Gill had drunk half a bottle of brandy and had been arguing with someone on the telephone in another room.
He said: “I could hear her arguing with someone but I don’t know what it was about, she was talking in Punjabi.”
Mr Lewis said later that night she complained of chest pains and was incoherent, shouting at him in Punjabi.
He told the inquest, held yesterday (Wednesday), that he called for an ambulance and then realised half of the quinine sulphate tablets, which he had been prescribed for night cramps, were missing and informed paramedics that Miss Gill must have taken them.
Miss Gill was then taken to hospital, where she suffered two cardiac arrests and died.
Mr Lewis said he had no idea why Miss Gill, who was studying religion, would want to take her own life.
Her sister Sukhvinder Kaur Sami told the inquest: “She phoned me a week before she died saying she wanted to phone the Samaritans, there’s only one reason you would phone the Samaritans. I calmed her down, she was crying. She spoke to my two children and seemed a lot happier and said she would come down and visit - she has never seen my son and he’s five now.”
Mrs Sami said her sister never disclosed why she was depressed and added: “When I found out what she did I felt awful, I wish I could have done something.”
Black Country Coroner Robin Balmain said her death was caused by quinine overdose but said there was evidence she had used opiets and cocaine.
He added: “This case is quite bizarre, she suffered from depression and drank too much and didn’t seek help. On the night of her death she was drinking, was incoherent and had taken a lot of quinine tablets prescribed for her partner. “Why she did that, we have no explanation.
“I can’t record a verdict that she killed herself because I can’t be sure that is what she intended.”
He recorded a verdict of a self administered overdose of therapeutic medication prescribed for her partner.
Comments are closed on this article.