A BLACK Country baby whose battle against the odds has captured the hearts of thousands of people has finally been allowed home.

Daisy-Mae Little, nicknamed 'the girl who couldn't wait', was born three-and-a-half months early at Russells Hall Hospital on December 1 last year, weighing just 1lb 13oz.

Her father Wayne Little started a page on the social network Facebook to update friends and family about his daughter’s progress and her story has attracted more than 14,000 likes to date.

The latest updates on the page show the pictures all of Daisy-Mae’s new friends have been wanting to see - her arrival at home after 108 days in hospital.

Wayne said: “It has been like climbing a mountain, when we got home it felt like we had reached the summit of that mountain.

“It was a lovely feeling, we had made it to the top but we were feeling quite exposed, there is still a risk of infection and apnea.

“We nicknamed her the girl who couldn’t wait. The last three months have been terrifying, heart-wrenching and full of prayers and hope."

Firefighter Wayne and wife Jennifer, who works at Talbots Solicitors in Stourbridge, spent five days living at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley learning how to cope with their daughter’s medical needs before bringing the tiny tot, weighing four-and-a-half pounds, home on March 18.

Wayne said: “This still doesn’t prepare you for the shock of being at home, shutting the door and realising that is it. We have got an army of friends and family to call on for support although we have to be careful not to have too many people round. People are really understanding.”

The family’s story has become a regular news item in the press and they have appeared on local TV and radio.

Wayne said: “With the story on Facebook it is unbelievable how many people have responded to it, people have identified with it, they have seen a small, vulnerable child and felt as helpless as we did as her parents.”

After Daisy-Mae was born she was transferred to the neo-natal unit at Wolverhampton’s New Cross Hospital where her parents spent six weeks living in a hospital flat to be by her side before she was returned to Russells Hall.

To say thank you to medics who saved their child’s life - the couple, from Pensnett, and their supporters have launched a massive fundraising campaign which is already clocking up the pounds for Midlands neo-natal units.

For more details of fundraising for Daisy-Mae visit Facebook.com/little.daisy.mae