Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting SB NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Norton man jailed after threatening bus passenger with a knife
5:01pm Monday 12th May 2014 in News
A NORTON man has been jailed after threatening a public-spirited member of the community with a Stanley knife after he helped escort him off a bus because he had not paid his fare.
Scott Lees produced a ticket that was not valid when he boarded the bus in Kingsway, Wollaston, and he was told by the driver to leave the vehicle - Wolverhampton Crown Court heard.
But the 28-year-old then took the knife from his pocket and waved it around in a threatening manner before telling the passenger: "Come on then. Get off the bus."
Nicholas Burn, prosecuting, said the driver closed the doors and drove away from the scene with Lees being arrested after he was recognised on CCTV by police.
Judge Martin Walsh said Lees had an "extremely poor" criminal record and at the time of the offence he had clearly been heavily intoxicated and very abusive.
The judge added: "You threatened a public spirited member of the public after he went to the assistance of the driver who was simply doing his job."
Lees, of Caslon Crescent, admitted threatening a person with a blade in a public place and he was jailed for 14 months.
The judge ruled the offence was so serious only an immediate custodial sentence was appropriate.
Mr Burn told the court the actions of Lees after he produced an out of date bus ticket had clearly put people in fear for their safety.
After being escorted off the bus he became extremely aggressive and he was banging on the side of the vehicle and shouting at the top of his voice.
Christopher O'Gorman, defending, said Lees had been leading a "chaotic" lifestyle and he had been struggling with drug and alcohol abuse.
Comments are closed on this article.