Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting SB NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Toxic effects of medication led to death of Kingswinford man, inquest told
Updated 12:38pm Friday 18th July 2014 in News
A KINGSWINFORD father's death was caused by the combined effects of medication he was taking for severe back pain, an inquest heard.
Simon Ashfield, aged 54, was found collapsed on the kitchen floor of his Silva Avenue home on December 9, last year.
Despite the best efforts of attending paramedics, he could not be resuscitated.
An inquest at Dudley Coroners Court on Thursday was told that his death was caused by the combined toxic effects of morphine, amitriptyline and nortriptyline.
The father-of-two had been taking the medication as a result of a back injury he sustained after being kicked when he was younger.
His wife, Stella, told the inquest the former mechanic had been unable to work for 15 years because of the pain.
She said he had been taking morphine for the last 15 years and the dose had been gradually increased.
Mrs Ashfield said days before his death, he had attended a hospital appointment and was awaiting an MRI scan.
She added: "He was hopeful that something was going to be done. He wasn't low in mood, he had been buying Christmas presents online. I just think his body was worn out, I really do."
Dr Sixto Batitang said a post-mortem revealed remnants of partially digested tablets in Mr Ashfield's stomach, although it was difficult to tell how many had been taken or what tolerance to morphine he had built up over the years.
He said a toxicology report found "relatively high" levels of morphine and amitriptyline along with traces of nortriptyline in his system.
Senior Black Country coroner Robin Balmain concluded Mr Ashfield died as a result of the combined effects of therapeutic medication.