Fatal Stourbridge flat fire was caused by a cigarette, inquest hears

First published in Local

A STOURBRIDGE woman died in a fire caused by a cigarette, an inquest heard.

Maureen Shepherd, aged 63, had suffered extensive burns when she was found by firefighters who tackled the blaze in her tenth floor flat at Baylie Court, Green Street, on March 22.

The retired jewellrey polisher, who was unable to move her lower limbs due to MS, had fell asleep with a cigarette and set fire to her bedding, Smethwick Coroners Court was told.

Black Country Coroner Robin Balmain said firefighters discovered Mrs Shepherd in the living area of her flat at 10.14am and pulled her out onto the landing but minutes later she was prounounced dead.

Mr Balmain said: “The first crew that attended found evidence to suggest at some stage she became aware of the situation and tried to move away from the fire but was restricted by her medical condition.”

A postmortem ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning and found burns caused Mrs Shepherd’s death.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Balmain: “This was a tragic accident. She didn’t want to give up cigarettes, they were one of the few pleasures she had. She set fire to the bedding and wasn’t able to rescue herself because of her illness.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree