NETHERTON Athletic are celebrating after cup success last weekend.

The Kidderminster and District League outfit saw off the challenge of Kings Heath Old Boys to lift the Saturday Junior Cup.

Kings Heath, who were looking to avoid a repeat of their defeat at this stage season, had the first opportunity of the game when Lee Davies sent the ball in from the left which Craig Spink rose to meet well. He was penalised, however, for a push on Karl Wilson and Netherton were awarded a free-kick.

Netherton had their first sight at goal in the seventh minute after they were awarded a corner. Kieran Snead sent over the set-piece which was headed clear by Kings Heath, but only as far as Ben Store whose return ball was headed narrowly wide by Paul Harris.

However, just seven minutes later, Netherton took the lead. They were awarded a free kick five yards outside the box to the right-hand side. Anthony Cox played in a low ball which evaded everyone and nestled in the far right corner of the net.

Kings Heath looked to reply straight away. James Pugh did well to win a corner, which he then took, but Rob Dalloway in the Netherton goal did really well to punch the ball clear.

A few moments later, Netherton were grateful to Paul Harris for preserving their lead as he threw himself in front of a shot from Spink which seemed destined for the net.

Kings Heath had another opportunity just before the break, Simon Thorne went on a mazy run from the middle of the park, but his shot went wide of the post.

The second half continued pretty much as the first half had ended, with Kings Heath pressing for an equaliser. Tom Windsor-Price was first to try his luck from the edge of the box after a neat pass from Matthew Draper, but he could only fire wide.

Next, Draper played a wonderful long ball to Pugh, who did well to turn his marker and make room for a shot, but it was well smothered by Dalloway.

Netherton doubled their advantage when Keiron Snead played a through ball to Niki Faux, who showed excellent strength to hold off the defender before rounding the keeper and stroking the ball into the empty net.

Kings Heath barely had time to touch the ball before they found themselves 3-0 down. This time, Cox sent over an excellent corner which was powered into the back of the net by the head of Danny Smith.

Luck was not on the side of Kings Heath, as Pugh saw his excellent volley hit the crossbar and bounce clear, before Spink again fired over the crossbar.

Kings Heath were having all of play and gave themselves a glimmer of hope in the 70th minute as Draper, who was having a fine game, curled a wonderful free kick into the net from 30 yards out.

They continued to press, but frustratingly for their supporters, shots were sent high, wide or they found Dalloway in fine form.

Netherton quashed any hopes of a comeback on the 80th minute as a good cross from substitute Liam Morris found Captain David Gennard, who rose superbly to head the ball over Ellard and into the back of the net, condemning Kings Heath to their second successive 4-1 final defeat.