Stourbridge let vital points slip from grasp while Lye suffer shock defeat

STOURBRIDGE let maximum points slip from their grasp after being held to a 1-1 draw by 10 men St Neots to stay sixth in the Southern League Premier Division - writes NICK PULLEN

The Glassboys were given the lead by spot-kick king Sean Geddes who fired home his 16th penalty of the season.

Geddes set up the chance himself after playing a quick one-two with Ben Billingham before unleashing a 25 yard shot which St Neots goalkeeper Nathan Abbey proved unable to hold.

Stourbridge striker Ryan Rowe was first to react, but was brought down by Abbey before he could fire home.

Geddes duly stepped up to convert on 28 minutes and take his goal tally for the season to 19.

Geddes went close to adding a second goal on 66 minutes when he fired a shot from 20 yards out, but Abbey responded with a fabulous save, diving full stretch to keep the ball out.

It started going wrong for Stourbridge on 72 minutes when St Neots had Lorenzo Ferrari sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Ben Billingham.

Despite going down to 10 men, it had the opposite efect on St Neots who raised their game as a result.

They should have levelled on 79 minutes when Arthur Lee had a header cleared off the line by Geddes.

But Stourbridge let their lead slip on 83 minutes when they failed to clear from a goalmouth scramble which resulted with Jay Davies firing home from close range.

SHOCK of the day saw Lye Town's 26 match unbeaten run in the West Midlands League come to a halt when they were beaten 2-0 at Malvern Town.

James Lush was the unlikely Malvern hero by netting both goals.

He struck first after 16 minutes when he intercepted an attempted throw by makeshift goalkeeper Ben Jevons, who he then rounded to calmly slot home.

Lush added a second on 79 minutes when he followed up to force home after Dave Reynolds had rifled a shot against the post.

Lye had no luck throughout the game, especially when leading marksman Ricky Anslow had an early effort ruled out for offside,

Lye chairman Brian Blakemore revealed: "The linesman came to see us afterwards and apologised for the decision. He admitted to getting it wrong, although that wasn't much help to us!

Blakemore added: "It's only our second defeat in 2013 and somehow it feels as though it's a monkey off our back. But we're still in the driving seat".

Lye remain 10 points clear at the top after second placed Shawbury United were held to a goalless draw at Wolves Casuals.

Sporting Khalsa have climbed into third place after coming from 2-1 down to beat Cradley Town 3-2




Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree