Stourbridge snatch victory from the jaws of defeat

First published in Sport

Stourbridge 2, Bedford Town 1

THE Glassboys grabbed two goals in as many minutes to save their bacon after third from bottom Bedford threatened to prise the points away from Amblecote.

It was just the tonic for Stourbridge's loyal Leon Broadhurst who was celebrating a milestone by making his 500th appearence.

But the occasion could have turned out a damp squip if Bedford had their way.

Having seen two points snatched from their grasp by Hitchin Town on Saturday, the Glassboys could ill afford to drop further off the promotion pace - writes NICK PULLEN.

But the Glassboys were left chasing the game after 54 minutes when announcer's nightmare Fejiri Okenabirhie rifled home a first time shot from 20 yards.

Boosted by the arrival of former Cambridge United striker Alan Biley in their ranks, Bedford grew in confidence as the game progressed and a shock result looked on the cards.

Stourbridge's frustration started to show as they missed numerous openings.

Chris Knight missed an absolute sitter on 26 minutes with an open goal at his mercy, but somehow the striker scooped the ball over from close range.

Then dangerman Sean Geddes forced his way clean through the Bedford defence on 37 minutes but was denied a goal by the outstretched leg of goalkeeper Dan Green.

Striker Luke Benbow grazed Bedford's crossbar just before half time. Then Geddes had many of the crowd on their feet after 48 minutes believing he'd score when driving a low shot just past the post.

Bedford also had their moments, especially when Curtis Shaw thumped a tremendous shot against the Stourbridge crossbar on 22 minutes.

Jean-Phillipe Yamfam followed up as the ball rebounded back into play but fired his shot against defender Nathan Bennett and the ball deflected away for a corner.

After Okenabirhie had put Bedford in front it looked as though the Glassboys could finish the evening empty-handed, especially when Geddes smashed a superbly struck free-kick against the post on 62 minutes.

The catalyst that turned the game arrived after Ryan Rowe had been booked for a late challenge.

The yellow card appeared to incense several Stourbridge players who raised their game as a result.

They were rewarded on 77 minutes when Luke Benbow turned sharply inside the six yard box to convert from a left wing cross.

Before Bedford knew what had hit them, the Glassboys had gone 2-1 up when a low raking Geddes shot was deflected home by  Kayeldon Brown on 78 minutes.

Stourbridge professionally played out the remaining minutes to seal the points and climb to fourth place in the Southern Premier Division.

Now Stourbridge can look forward to a lengthy trip to Cornwall where they take on Truro City this Saturday.

Stourbridge: Coleman; Haynes, Bennett, Richards, Sansara; Billingham (Rock 17) (Fitzpatrick 82), Broadhurst, Geddes, Brown, Knight (Rowe 58), Benbow. Subs not used: Oliver, Francis.


Referee: David Avent (Northampton)

Attendance 261

Star man: Luke Benbow


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree