STOURBRIDGE'S promotion charge came to a shuddering halt after they suffered play-off agony for the second season running.

The Glassboys had battled hard in recent weeks to secure a top five finish to keep their promotion dream alive, but once more missed out after losing at the semi-final stage.

This time they couldn't quite get the better of Southern Premier League runners-up Chesham, losing 2-1 away on Tuesday night. The loss was their first for six matches.

A brilliant Kayelden Brown strike had handed them an early lead but the home side clawed their way back and goals from striker pair Drew Roberts and Chris Dillon guided them through to the final.

Stourbridge, cheered on by a large vocal Black Country following, started the better and had a good chance to open the scoring on 15 minutes when Sean Geddes picked out Kyle Haines on the right but his 20-yard strike flew just wide of the target.

The Glassboys continued to press and took a deserved lead midway through the half when Brown picked up the ball five yards outside the area and let fly with a ferocious effort that found the bottom left-hand corner.

Haines had another shot fly wide before a corner caused problems to Glassboys keeper Dean Coleman who managed to juggle the ball away from dangerman Roberts.

Aside from that, Chesham had failed to trouble the visitors but, on 32 minutes, they were gifted an equaliser.

A through ball seemed straightforward for Coleman to gather but the ball slipped out of his hands and when James Potton squared, Roberts was unmarked in the centre to slot home.

The diminutive striker went close again five minutes later with a curling free-kick that flew just over the Stourbridge crossbar.

The home side finished the half the stronger and they took that superiority into the second period with Dillon, Roberts and Potton keeping the Glassboy’s back four busy.

And it was that trio who combined to grab the winner on 64 minutes. Potton’s high ball into the area was headed on by Roberts and Dillon calmly finished from six yards.

Stourbridge pushed for an equaliser but, for the second year running, it just wasn’t to be.

However, boss Gary Hackett was optimistic about the future for his team.

He said: "We have got to learn from this. When I look at the quality and age of the side there is a great deal of optimism, more than I have ever had during my time at the club.

"The supporters have been great and have backed us brilliantly all season.

"Next year we will be looking to win the league. We will get there. The squad that finished the season is stronger than last year."

He also pointed to the strides that have been made off the pitch and the development the club has made behind the scenes.

"People need to recognise where the club has come from and the work that is being done to move forwards. That will continue."