A DEVOTED mum and her 13-year-old son who were brutally stabbed at their Stourbridge home are to be laid to rest next week.

Almost ten weeks after the horrific attack in Norton - the funeral of Tracey and Pierce Wilkinson will take place at St Mary's Church, Oldswinford, on Wednesday June 7 at 11am.

Heartbroken family members say the service for "kind-hearted" Tracey, aged 50, and "bright" teenager Pierce, who was a pupil at Redhill School, will provide closure to what has been an unimaginably sad few weeks.

Devastated daughter Lydia Wilkinson (pictured below with dad Peter) told the News: "It will give everyone chance to say goodbye. They're at peace now."

Stourbridge News:

Her dad Peter Wilkinson, who is struggling to come to terms with the distressing loss of his wife and young son, is still recovering from injuries sustained during the appalling attack at the family's Greyhound Lane home on March 30 which also left him in a critical condition.

He suffered facial wounds, a broken jaw, punctured lungs and a punctured bowel and he said: "I was saved on the operating table. Lydia was told my chances were 50/50.

"I'm on the mend but it'll take some months yet.

"Lydia has taken a huge amount of strength from the fact that I survived. She thought at one point she'd lost everyone."

The 47-year-old company director told how the support of people in the community had been helping the family through - describing it as "phenomenal" and adding: "It's kept us going."

Lydia added: "It really does feel like everyone has got your back, especially when I came to the house when dad was still critical. The support was invaluable - without it I would have felt completely lost.

Both said they were "touched" to think so many people had taken it upon themselves to buy flowers and write notes and Lydia added: "If we could write everyone a letter we would."

The family's dog - a greyhound named Mandy - has also been helping Peter and Lydia through.

Stourbridge News:

Adopted from the Hall Green Retired Greyhound Trust about a year ago, the cute rescue dog returned for the first time with the Wilkinsons to the family home on Friday.

Brave Peter and Lydia hope to move back into their renovated detached period property which Peter said had been "a labour of love" for the last eight years - although he admits it won't be easy and he said: "We got the keys back three weeks ago and it was very emotional coming back."

He told the News Father Desmond Devenney, from Our Lady of Lourdes RC Church in Stourbridge, had been and blessed the house and he added: "We're not religious people but the church has been brilliant."

Father Desmond will also say prayers at a joint service for Tracey and Pierce which will be taken by Rev Stephen Agnew, vicar of St Mary's.

Kidderminster Male Voice Choir has also been asked to officiate at the service and a spokesperson for the choir said: "Although none of the family was known to us beforehand, we all feel in some way touched by the circumstances.

"I know every member of the choir is eager to offer whatever they can to the Wilkinson family."

Looking through family photographs at their home ahead of the service - Peter and Lydia paid emotional tributes to Tracey and Pierce, describing them as "inseparable".

Stourbridge News:

Lydia said her younger brother Pierce was an "incredible, happy, bright, clever boy who could make friends with anyone" and she told the News her mum, who had been a housewife for the last eight years after previously working in administration, "could talk to anyone and make them feel comfortable".

Stourbridge News:

Stourbridge News:

She added: "She was a beautiful woman and they were both very kind-hearted and very generous."

Peter, a director for Asset International in Bilston - a subsidiary of Hill & Smith Holdings, told how the day his life changed forever had been "just a normal Thursday morning" until he returned from walking the dog to scenes of horror.

He said: "We were just a normal, happy family - enjoying life to the full."

Lydia had been due to break-up for Easter the very next day - just a few days after she had surprised her mum and brother with an impromptu visit home on Mother's Day on the weekend before the attack.

Peter said: "Tracey was absolutely elated and over the moon, as was Pierce."

Shortly after their lives were cut short - 23-year-old Aaron Barley, of no fixed address, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.

At Birmingham Crown Court on May 3, he admitted attempting to kill Peter Wilkinson but has yet to enter a plea regarding the deaths of Tracey and Pierce.

He is next due to appear in court on July 19.

Those wishing to attend the funeral for Tracey and Pierce need not wear black but are asked to be seated in church by 10.45am.

Family flowers only have been requested and the service will be followed by a private committal.

Donations for the Hall Green Retired Greyhound Trust, Birmingham Children’s Hospital and Midlands Air Ambulance can be made c/o Farmer & Son Funeral Directors in Wordsley High Street.