A MAN was rescued from his flat in Dudley after a fire broke out when cooking was left unattended.

West Midlands Fire Service sent three crews from Dudley, Brierley Hill and Tipton stations to the scene of the blaze in Price Street.

The fire service tweeted in the early hours of this morning (Saturday, August 18) that a man had to be led to safety by the crews who were wearing breathing apparatus.

The occupier also received a precautionary check-up from West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedics.

The fire service later tweeted: “There was smoke damage to the kitchen and some of the flat. It's fortunate we were able to get the occupier out. We hope he will make a full recovery.

“It's important not to leave cooking unattended, it's very dangerous.”