A DOG has been confirmed to have died after a fire caused by a toaster broke out a Dudley home.

Two dogs were rescued by firefighters from the property in Newland Grove yesterday (Saturday August 17).

But one of the animals died at the scene - a relative of the occupier has confirmed.

A total of 16 firefighters from Brierley Hill and Dudley were called out to the incident after a fire broke out in the ground floor rear kitchen of the semi-detached property.

A spokesman for West Midlands Fire Service said all occupants had been safely accounted for and that a passing vet had assisted firefighters as they tried to resuscitate the two dogs - just after 6.30pm.

West Midlands Fire Service has since issued a warning to people about the importance of keeping toasters "clean and as a minimum switched off at the plug".