A MOTHER-of-two took her own life hours after sending a desperate email to her partner.

Rachel Greensmith hanged herself at her home at Bottle Kiln Rise in Brierley Hill. She was discovered by her daughter, Leigh Darby, on the morning of April 21.

Black Country Coroner’s Court heard how the 44-year-old former Thorns School pupil had a history of depression and anxiety and her personality had changed after she began a new relationship with Halesowen property developer Robert McNaughton.

The court heard how Ms Greensmith had emailed Mr McNaughton on the afternoon before her death, telling him of her intention to kill herself.

Mr McNaughton described how he raced to Ms Greensmith’s home to check on her, where he stayed for a couple of hours. He said he left later that evening believing she was alright, before returning at around 11.30pm as Ms Greensmith was not answering her phone.

When nobody answered the door, he assumed she had gone out and he went home and continued to call her until the early hours of the morning, the court heard on October 3.

Her body was found the next morning by her daughter.

When questioned by Ms Darby why he didn't call the police after receiving the email, Mr McNaughton told the court: "I had no thought whatsoever that she would do that.

"With hindsight I would have kicked the door down myself."

PC Stuart Ward, based at Brierley Hill police station, told the court he had to break up an 'altercation' between Miss Darby and Mr McNaughton when attending the scene after Ms Greensmith’s body was discovered.

He said: “Clearly the family didn’t want him at that location. I advised him to leave to prevent any further problems.”

He added that there was no sign of a disturbance or forced entry at the property.

Rachel’s distraught family described how they had concerns about Ms Greensmith’s four-year relationship with Mr McNaughton, who was jailed for five years in 2017 after he was found guilty of conspiracy to commit criminal damage in what a judge described as a "cruel, calculating campaign" against a former girlfriend.

Miss Darby said she was not happy with the relationship, and felt her mother’s depression and anxiety worsened during her time with Mr McNaughton and that she was 'very controlled'.

The pair were due to get married in September.

Mr McNaughton said his relationship with Ms Greensmith was ‘verbally volatile’ but said she made him ‘exceptionally happy’ and that after seeing her the night before her death, he did not think she would harm herself.

Summing up the hearing, Coroner Siddique said: “When I asked him [McNaughton] about allegations he was quite clear he has never physically harmed Rachel.

“He described the relationship as ‘verbally volatile’”.

He added: “The family asked why didn’t you [McNaughton] go to the police. He genuinely believed she was alright at that point.”

Paying tribute to her mother, Ms Darby described the former civil servant in court as “confident, very beautiful, very well dressed and well mannered.”

Coroner Siddique formally recorded a conclusion of suicide.

If you need someone to talk to the Samaritans’ free helpline number is 116 123. The mental health charity offers 24/7 confidential support.