FIREFIGHTERS have continued to return regularly to the scene of a large woodland fire at Enville, near Stourbridge, to help prevent a further outbreak.

More than 20 fire engines and crews with specialist equipment have attended the scene so far of an area of private woodland off Chester Road known as the Million.

The fire, which is believed to have been started by a camp fire, was first reported on Friday July 31 - with crews tackling the flames throughout the weekend and into this week.

Station manager Paul Harpin, from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The spells of hot and dry weather have created the ideal conditions for fire, which combined with wind and the dense terrain, resulted in a very challenging incident for firefighters.

“We’ve made good progress in tackling the fire over the past five days.

"However, crews will continue to regularly visit the scene for the rest of the week to check for hotspots and damping down. Members of the public are reminded to avoid the area as the woodland is private land and the fire is still at risk of reigniting."

The fire has affected 200m by 300m of dense woodland.

Firefighters say the terrain has been difficult and crews have had to use a Unimog, ranger vehicles and water carriers along with cross border appliances to help tackle the blaze.

Mr Harpin has urged members of the public to be extremely mindful during the hot weather and to think twice about starting a fire in the countryside. He added: “As we are in the midst of summer, the weather is much dryer and grass and woodland fires are a greater risk. Anything from discarding cigarettes to embers from a nearby bonfire or disposable barbecue left unattended can cause a fire which can easily spread and put lives at risk.

“Whilst our resources are busy dealing with incidents such as these, they are not available for other emergencies."

Staffordshire Police are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the fire at the Million.

Any witnesses or anyone with any information about the incident is asked to contact 101, or report online quoting incident number 465 of 31 July.