A Lye man who punched a woman in the head has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Magistrates decided prison was the only appropriate sentence because the woman, Kirsty Gwynne, was a public servant, the attack was deliberate, the defendant was already on a community order and he had a record of previous offending.

Anthony Andrew Evitts, aged 31, of Saltbrook, Gibbs Road, admitted assault. He was ordered to pay £200 compensation.

Other recent cases at Dudley Magistrates Court included:

A Brierley Hill man was almost three times over the limit when he was caught drink-driving on Amblecote Road.

Marius Cosmin Pavalan, aged 38, of High Street, had 96 microgrammes of alcohol when breathalysed. The limit per 100 millilitres is 35.

He admitted drink-driving, driving without insurance and without a licence.

He was placed on an electronic monitoring curfew for 6pm to 6am for two months and banned from driving for two and half years. He must also pay a total of £600 in fines and costs.

A Dudley teenager has been sentenced to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, after he admitted assaulting Christopher Saunders at Merry Hill shopping centre in Brierley Hill.

Harry Harcourt, aged 19, of Sandfield Grove, was ordered to pay a total of £457 in compensation, court costs and victim funds.

James Jonathan Blunt, aged 38, of Dudley Road, Sedgley, has been put on an electronic tag curfew after taking a car without consent and driving it while banned and not insured.

He admitted all three charges after being caught driving the Vauxhall Mokka on Wolverhampton Street. He was curfewed for three months, 8pm to 8am.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £280 in court costs and victim surcharge.

Disqualified driver Lukasik Dawid has been banned again and ordered to carry out community work after he was stopped in a black Mercedes on the M5 southbound services between junctions 1 and 3.

Dawid, aged 36, admitted driving while disqualified and having no insurance.

He must do 100 hours unpaid work, pay £230 in costs and has been banned for six months.

A Halesowen woman caught drink-driving almost four times over the limit has been banned for 30 months.

Julie Moors, aged 49, of Summerfield Avenue, pleaded guilty to driving a Mini Clubman on Summerfields Avenue when she had 129 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The limit is 35.

She was placed on an electronically tagged curfew from 6pm to 6am for two months and ordered to pay £220 in costs and victim funds.

A Cradley Heath man has been given a conditional discharge after admitting receiving a stolen Kawasaki motorbike.

Stuart James Archer, aged 41, of Peartree Lane, received the green Kawasaki BF64YJJ belonging to Mark Bennett.

Archer was ordered to pay £21 to victim services.