THE cause of a fire which ripped through a Brierley Hill pub kitchen has been confirmed as accidental and started from a steak cooking on a flame grill.

Fire crews from Brierley Hill and Stourbridge battled a blaze at The New Wellington Pub on Brettell Lane at around 5pm on June 21.

Brierley Hill Fire Service said the blaze then spread by fat oil from the grill catching fire.

It is understood that no one was injured in the fire.

Brettell Lane was closed as firefighters used hose reel jets to extinguish the 'severe fire'.

A technical rescue unit was called as part of the kitchen became unstable.

The pub has reopened its bar but its kitchen still remains closed as the extent of the damage is evaluated.