An incredible last-gasp try from centre Stefan Shillingford enabled Dudley Kingswinford's Colts to reach the last eight of the National Colts Cup thanks to a 10-3 win over Doncaster.

The game was played in front of the biggest crowd at Heathbrookvthis season and joint head coach Neil Shillingford is as proud as punch with the way his young charges just keep going from strength to strength.

He said: "They just keep amazing us with their performances.

"Sunday was a fantastic day and to get a win against a very good Doncaster Academy side was fantastic.

"We left it a bit late to secure victory because we had enough chances earlier in the game to have wrapped it up but we can't complain because the lads deserve all the plaudits."

The sides were pretty evenly matched throughout, with DK controlling the lion's share of the first-half territory and possession, whilst their visitors Doncaster did much the same in the second period.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks and the home side had their work cut out to contain them in a frenzied opening few minutes. The visitors' fly-half Mark Steadman put them 3-0 up after seven minutes after DK encroached.

The hosts, who were now controlling proceedings levelled things up after a succesful penalty from fly-half Jordan Brookes on 16 minutes when Doncaster were offside in front of their posts.

A brilliant break from Brookes on 22 minutes saw the ball swiftly moved down the line to the right wing but Andy Hill was just unable to hold the ball three metres from the visitors' line.

This was soon followed by a great break from full-back Jak Davis and a pin-point pass from Karl Lockley on the half hour again opened up the Doncaster defence but this time left wing Matt Grove just failed to hold a scoring pass to leave the score level at the break.

On 50 minutes DK had a penalty chance to take the lead but Brooke's kick drifted narrowly wide.

Doncaster also had a chance to take the lead when a DK late tackle was penalised after 62 minutes but Steadman was also unable to hit the target.

With the game now entering stoppage time it was the visitors who were in the ascendancy as their well-drilled pack drove ominously towards the DK line. A costly error saw them lose the ball and DK immediately swept the ball out wide to full-back Davis who hit the line at pace. The diminutive winger sped 70 metres up the left touchline before managing to flick the ball inside to Shillingford, who did well to pick up the loose ball and sprint in for a game-winning try, converted by Brookes.

The quarter finals are to be played on either March 15 or March 16.

It was a good weekend all round for DK with the firsts picking up a morale-boosting victory in the North Midlands Cup.

Dudley made it through to the semi-finals of the competition after disposing of Worcester University 46-8 at Heathbrook.

Tries were scored by Andy McEwan, Cameron Pimlow, Ben Connett (2), Tom Bissell, Mike Jones and Tom McIntosh.

Shillingford, who along with Mark Lockley is in charge of first-team matters as well as the Colts was delighted to see his team pick up a victory.

"All-in-all it was a good weekend for the club.

"This was a welcome win and is game we can take a lot of positives out of.

"Hopefully we can enjoy a good cup-run and an upturn in league fortunes for the reaminder of the season."

Dk currently sit bottom of Midlands Divion One and welcome Broadstreet to Heathbrook this Saturday (3pm kick-off).