STOURBRIDGE RFC have been left reeling after two key players were set for lengthy spells on the sidelines after an innocuous-looking collision left them with horrific injuries.

Inside centre Mark Eastwood and fly-half Sam Robinson suffered a clash of legs two minutes into Saturday's 32-12 home win against Westcombe Park, which required both players to receive extensive treatment on the pitch before being rushed to Russells Hall Hospital.

Eastwood suffered a dislocated kneecap as well as a double fracture of his knee and tibia, while Robinson received severe bruising and significant knee ligament damage.

Devastated head coach, Neil Mitchell, said: "It is unbelievable to think Mark and Sam have suffered such horrific injuries from such an innocuous incident and I'm primarily devastated for the pair of them.

"They are both key players for us and they have been pivital in our push for promotion and we now just hope they can make a full and speedy recovery."

Mitchell believes the way his players responded after seeing two of their own rushed off to hospital was remarkable.

He added: "I said to the team afterwards that the way we re-grouped was the proudest moment in my coaching career.

"We were all shell-shocked and our thoughts were obviously with Mark and Sam, but we regrouped at half-time to win which is a real testament to the players' team spirit.

"It is difficult to take any positives from such an horrific incident but I think if there is one it is that the players want to push on even more on behalf of the injured duo."

Mitchell's men remain in the second National Division Two promotion slot going into Saturday's trip to bottom-of-the-table Halifax.

On top of the absence of his first choice 10 and 12 the coach will also be without influential captain Jim Jenner (shoulder) so a host of changes are expected for the clash.

Earmarked for a return are fly-half Dan Laverey, centre Scott Morris, scrum-half Danny Pointon, prop Chris Rowlands, hooker Ben Gerry and number eight Duncan White.