THE legacy of former Dudley footballing great Duncan Edwards continues with the unveiling of a spectacular stained glass window in his honour.

The window, which is an exact replica of the one in St Francis Church, was unveiled at a special ceremony at the Duncan Edwards Room which is situated in the Copthorne Hotel.

Jim Cadman, who is the chairman of Duncan Edwards United hosted the event.

He has worked tirelessly for the past 20 years to keep the former England and Manchester United player’s name alive in the Black Country and beyond.

Also present was the artist Steve Melgie Merry, Duncan Edwards’ cousin Betty Cooksey, the Rev Canon Hugh Burton, the Rector of Dudley, members of the Manchester Munich Memorial Foundation and team mates from Edwards’ schooldays.

The original stained glass window shows Edwards memorialised in United and England kit with the words ‘God is with us for our Captain’ and ‘ Though there be many members yet is there one body’ adorning ribbons across his chest.

Underneath the depiction of Edwards in United’s red and white kit, an inscription reads ‘Thanking God for the Life of Duncan Edwards, died at Munich, February 1958,

Edwards, who was recognised as one of the finest footballers of his generation died along with 22 other people including United team mates, staff, fans and journalists when their plane crashed following a refuelling stop in Munich, Germany on February 6, 1958.

St Francis Church, which is located on the Priory Estate where Edwards spent his childhood, made an appeal to Football League sides to help finance a stained glass memorial to their local hero.

Several clubs, together with Wrens Nest Bowling Club responded to their plea and their individual crests are incorporated into the window.

The window itself was officially unveiled in 1961 by the legendary Sir Matt Busby, who was United’s manager at the time of the tragedy.