THE lead detective in the Cody Fisher murder case has said it will never be understood why the popular footballer was killed by people he didn’t know in a packed Birmingham nightclub on Boxing Day 2022.

Detective Inspector Michelle Thurgood, who led the police investigation for West Midlands Police, said the tragedy unfolded on December 26 after Cody was involved in an “extremely minor incident” with killer Remy Gordon at Popworld, Solihull, on Christmas Eve.

In a video interview released today after Gordon, aged 23, and Kami Carpenter, aged 22, were found guilty of murder, Det Insp Thurgood said Cody, aged 23, from Redditch, had bumped into Gordon “by pure accident” on a night out and that the pair were not known to each other “at all”.

Stourbridge News: Det Insp Michelle Thurgood who led the murder investigationDet Insp Michelle Thurgood who led the murder investigation (Image: West Midlands Police)

She said: “It would appear that Remy Gordon took offence and made it his mission to identify Cody Fisher and then attend the Crane nightclub on Boxing Day to seek some sort of retribution.”

The detective said Gordon managed to identify Cody, a talented footballer who had played for Stratford Town and Bromsgrove Sporting, Stourbridge FC, Kidderminster Harriers Academy and Birmingham City Academy, by social media and through friends and acquaintances and worked out he was likely to be at the Boxing Day special DJ event.

Stourbridge News: Cody FisherCody Fisher

She said towards the event of the event Cody had been on the dancefloor with his friends and girlfriend when Gordon and his group of friends approached and she added: “Very quickly a fight is seen to start…and within virtually seconds of that fight starting Cody is on the floor, having been stabbed.”

Tragically, Cody had been knifed through the heart with the weapon left embedded in his chest - and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A close friend was also assaulted and was punched and kicked but managed to escape.

The detective heading up the case said it had been a huge undertaking to carry out enquiries into a murder that happened in a packed nightclub with up to 2,000 clubbers in attendance – an investigation that took months rather than days.

Painstakingly, however, police managed to find the evidence they needed.

The Crown Prosecution Service said Snapchat messages showed that after the initial altercation Gordon had forwarded a picture of Cody to friends including Carpenter and Anderson asking for help to identify him and threatening to stab him.

Further communication showed Gordon and Carpenter discussed smuggling a knife into Crane nightclub and wearing masks to conceal their identities. Gordon was also captured on CCTV adjusting his mask as he exited the venue after the attack.

Stourbridge News: Crane nightclub in Digbeth, BirminghamCrane nightclub in Digbeth, Birmingham (Image: PA)

Witnesses described Carpenter and Gordon attacking Cody and mobile phone footage taken in the club also helped detectives to piece together what happened.

Meanwhile, Carpenter’s DNA was found on a black fabric knife sheath recovered by police on Adderley Street, Digbeth, with scientific testing later matching the sheath to the knife that killed Cody.

And today, after a two-month trial at Birmingham Crown Court, Gordon, of Cofton Park Drive, Rednal, and Carpenter, of Owens Croft, Kings Norton, were convicted of murdering Cody. Gordon was also found guilty of affray.

Reegan Anderson, aged 19, of Brookvale Park Road, Erdington, was cleared of murder, but found guilty of affray.

All three will be sentenced at a later date.

David Parsons, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said of the case: “Cody Fisher was an innocent party who was just trying to enjoy a night out with his girlfriend and friends when he was senselessly killed. The defendants showed a complete disregard for his life and their actions have robbed Cody Fisher of his future and caused immeasurable pain to his family.

“These two men lied and denied their involvement in Mr Fisher’s murder but we were able to present clear and compelling evidence including that from DNA, messaging on social media, witness testimony and CCTV footage which proved the murder was premeditated and that all three defendants were responsible for Mr Fisher’s death.

“The jury’s verdict reflects the gravity of their actions. Our thoughts are with Cody Fisher’s loved ones.”

Det Insp Thurgood said many people will have accidentally pushed or been pushed in a busy nightclub and “normally it might be a few crossed words, it might be an apology and that’s the end of it”.

And she added: “I guess we’ll never understand why Remy Gordon took such an affront to this that led to the events of Boxing Day.

“Cody’s family are absolutely devastated – torn apart by the events of Boxing night.

"I don’t think his family, particularly his mom, will ever recover from the loss of Cody, who had a bright future in front of him.

"He had a girlfriend that he’d been with for a substantial amount of time – and in seconds for no reason his life’s taken away from him.

“It’s an absolute tragedy.”