Stourbridge 0, Kidderminster Harriers 1

HARRIERS progressed into the semi-final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup after leaving it late to beat neighbours Stourbridge.

Attacker Jordan Murphy rifled under Stour keeper Matt Gould two minutes from time to hand them a narrow success.

With this campaign's first competitive fixture falling among both clubs' pre-season preparations, it was understandable that the game struggled to get going.

It was a sluggish start from both sides at a sun-drenched War Memorial Ground and soon became a story of some decent build up play but with a lack of cutting edge.

The first chance fell to the hosts when Kristian Green, advanced from his right back position, beat two men to work his way into the box but dragged an effort wide of the near post on 12 minutes.

It was a rare sight at goal for the Glassboys as Harriers began to grow as the half drew on.

They kept the ball better, were sharper in the tackle and began to get into good positions.

However, again they couldn't find a way through apart from a few free kicks on the edge of the Stour box that James McQuilkin couldn't make the most of.

The best chance of the half fell to Harriers just moments before the half time whistle.

Jordan Murphy latched onto a deep cross but could only fire straight at Gould, who closed him down well to block the effort.

The second half started better for the Glassboys and Tom Tonks forced keeper Jono Brown to punch away from under his bar after whipping in a venomous free kick from the left flank.

Again both sides failed to create any openings until young Stourbridge forward Brandon Hague saw a first time effort saved by Brown on 69 minutes.

The game looked to be heading to penalties until Murphy collected the ball on the right corner of the penalty area, took one touch and fired home.

Stour rallied after going behind and had two penalty shouts turned down in the closing stages, first when Tonks was barged over and then when sub Kayelden Brown went down under a tackle straight after.

Harriers stood up to a few deep balls into the box late on to make sure they went through to a semi-final against Evesham United.

Stourbridge: Gould, Green, Smikle, Tonks, Duggan, Hull, Heath (Brown 61), Birch (Canavan 61), Richards, Hague, Lait (Dodd 75).

Unused subs: Probert, McPike, Hayward.

Harriers: J Brown, McQuilkin (Clarke 67)' Hancocks, Trialist 1 (Lowe 82), Trialist 2, Tunnicliffe (c), Taylor, Trialist 3, A Brown (Forsyth 67), Trialist 4, Murphy.

Unused Subs: Lowe, Forsyth, Austin, Clarke.