A SCINTILLATING display from Jak Davis helped DK Rugby blast past Bromsgrove and into the final of the North Midlands Cup.

The 18-year-old winger scored two tries as DK put the league winners to the sword at Heathbrook last night.

Leading 21-3 at half time, the home side weathered a second half fightback from the Boars but eventually ran out comfortable winners.

They now face Luctonians in the final next Sunday May 10 at Stourbridge RFC's Stourton Park (kick-off 3pm).

The midweek tie meant that both sides were missing a few players. For DK, free scoring winger Matt Taylor, influential Kiwi full back Leigh Foster and in-form centre Tom Weaver were all unavailable. They were replaced by Jak Davis, Robbie Harlow and Simon Fletcher respectively.

Bromsgrove set a brisk opening pace, fly half Ben Copson put them 0-3 up after 2 minutes with a penalty but the visitor’s early barrage soon petered out and DK nearly wrested back the initiative with a brilliant 9th minute 60 metre solo break from Stefan Shillingford but he was unable to find a supporting runner.

The DK faithful were not kept waiting long though, as after 14 minutes and heavy DK pressure the ball was spread wide in front of the visitor’s posts for Stefan Shillingford to power over wide out.

A conversion from Gareth Bown saw DK go 7-3 up, before the home side's constant pressure brought them a second try after 22 mins.

Another defence splitting 50 metre break from Shillingford saw him feed Jak Davis then take an excellent return pass from the winger in his stride to over the line for a great try. Gareth Bown again added the extras to increase the DK lead to 14-3.

There was to be little respite for the visitors as DK, sensing the kill, poured forward in droves.

The third try duly came after 34 minutes when full back Robbie Harlow totally wrong footed the harassed Bromsgrove cover to dart through to the posts from 15 metres out. Another Bown conversion made it 21-3.

Bromsgrove’s resilience under pressure ensured they survived a harrowing 6 minutes to half time without conceding another try.

The visitor’s showed their Champion’s credentials with a determined effort at the start of the second half. After a period of pressure in the DK 22 following successive penalties, Nick Copson scored a good scrum half’s try on 47 mins with a neat dummy and sprint to the line. Brother Ben converted to make it 21-10.

Another spectacular DK try arrived after 53 minutes. After good probing by Robbie Harlow up to the visitor’s 22 the ball was swung left and then right to Jak Davis wide on the right.

The winger backed his scorching pace to take on no less than three defenders on the outside outpacing them with great panache to score a superb try in the corner making it 26-10.

Bromsgrove hit back on the hour when an uncharacteristic missed back row tackle in midfield by DK allowed a visitor’s centre to break and send in No 8 Drew Harper for a try in the corner.

Ben Copson’s fine touchline conversion made it 26-17. But DK were not to be denied and their fifth try after 68 minutes must qualify as one of the tries of the season.

Jak Davis collecting the ball between his own 22 and the 10 metre line expertly chipped his opposing wing then chased the ball to volley it on the bounce over the head of the advancing Bromsgrove full back into the 22 and over the goal line. Jak’s incredible pace saw him flash past the visitor’s hapless full back to touch down an stunning try just short of the dead ball line.

Gareth Bown’s conversion made it 33-17 and effectively sealed the win for DK.