Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting SB NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Hospital order for Stourbridge man who carried out Jobcentre sex attack
11:13am Tuesday 15th April 2014 in News
A STOURBRIDGE man who carried out a sex attack on a frightened young woman at the town's Jobcentre has been made the subject of a hospital order.
Judge Martin Walsh at Wolverhampton Crown Court told Daniel Croot it was a serious offence because of the fear and distress he had caused to his 20-year-old victim.
He said he was concerned because Croot had a number of previous convictions for sexually assaulting women and he had to consider the safety of members of the public.
It was clearly in the best interests of the 40-year-old and the public, said the judge, that he be detained in hospital for treatment to prevent future offending.
Geoffrey Dann, prosecuting, said the victim had been waiting outside the Jobcentre when she was engaged in conversation
by Croot who made her uncomfortable by asking about her breasts.
She turned away and went into the Jobcentre but he followed and carried out the sex attack, Mr Dann told the court.
He said Croot in the past had carried out sex attacks on buses and at a Birmingham railway station and he had been barred from associating with anyone under 18 years of age unless he was accompanied by an adult.
The judge said psychiatric reports came to the conclusion Croot needed to go into hospital because his antecedent history was a matter of considerable concern.
Croot of no fixed address admitted sexual assault and he was further told he must register as a Sex Offender for the next seven