Anger as councillors approve plan to build 14 homes on Norton mansion site

Anger as councillors approve plan to build 14 homes on Norton mansion site

Anger as councillors approve plan to build 14 homes on Norton mansion site

First published in News
Last updated

RESIDENTS hit out after planners approved a scheme to build 14 new detached homes in the rambling Norton grounds of a former newspaper magnate’s mansion.

Dudley’s development control committee last night (Monday) gave the green light to the plan by Kendrick Homes Ltd to knock down the Whittington Road home of the late Eric Moody, who owned the County Express, and replace it with new four and five bedroom executive houses.

The plan for the 2.6-acre plot divided the committee - which voted 4-4.

But chairman, councillor Qadar Zada, had the casting vote and pushed the scheme through – to the shock of nearby residents who had raised fears about the number of properties proposed, parking problems, loss of light and trees and the possible de-valuation of property prices in the area.

Objector Janet Davies said after the meeting at Dudley Council House: “I think it was a shambles.

"Nobody put their hands up properly so they were visible and the woman on the end changed her mind several times. The least they could have done was go and view the site.”

Councillor Tim Wright was among committee members worried about the scheme and he said the proposed two-storey family homes would be "overbearing" to neighbouring bungalows.

Former committee chairman, councillor Colin Wilson, also had concerns about the scheme which he said "ticks quite a lot of boxes - however there have been over 25 objections which for this sort of application is absolutely enormous".

He had earlier called for a site visit but the idea was rejected after the committee was told the house types and parking provision were considered acceptable and the loss of unprotected trees would not harm the area.

Ward councillor Heather Rogers said afterwards: “It’s a prime site for development but the developer is not taking residents objections into consideration properly. I definitely think there should have been a site visit in this case.”

Architect Alun Nicholas, who spoke on behalf of the concerned residents, said he was “disappointed” at the outcome.

He added: “These people were not suffering from NIMBYISM – they were not against the development of the site but simply wished their valid concerns to be taken into account.

“For an application which received over 20 residents' objections, two from ward councillors and the only voices in the chamber to be dissenting ones, it is almost a parody of the system that it should be voted through on the ambivalence of some members and the chair's casting vote.

"With no appeal process available to third parties in the current planning system, these residents will have to live with the adverse consequences of this development.

“Recent moves toward localism were supposed to give communities a stronger voice; patently, it’s not yet working here."

Bentley-driving businessman Mr Moody, who owned the old Mark & Moody stationery store in Stourbridge, died in 2012, aged 99 - leaving his distinctive home, a converted barn with buildings set around a central atrium, to Oriel College in Oxford which put the site up for sale last year.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:58am Wed 14 May 14

curry lover says...

This argument over building houses which are obviously needed in the area seems to be taking the same path as the Hagley saga. All folks seem to care about is devaluation. It is such a snobby attitude to take. How can a few more houses which will obviously be built to high standards in that area devalue their properties. Get a life and find something worthwhile to moan about.
(Such as all the foreigners who are entering our country and getting free housing and benefits for doing bugger all) At least the folks who purchase these properties will be in work and deserve them.
This argument over building houses which are obviously needed in the area seems to be taking the same path as the Hagley saga. All folks seem to care about is devaluation. It is such a snobby attitude to take. How can a few more houses which will obviously be built to high standards in that area devalue their properties. Get a life and find something worthwhile to moan about. (Such as all the foreigners who are entering our country and getting free housing and benefits for doing bugger all) At least the folks who purchase these properties will be in work and deserve them. curry lover
  • Score: 3

4:49am Thu 15 May 14

ozpat says...

Nicely put Currylover! some peoples moral compass and sense of entitlement are beyond belief! Knock down the unused home and build the houses! let common sense prevail because believe you me when dealing with Nimbys their sense is not so common!
Nicely put Currylover! some peoples moral compass and sense of entitlement are beyond belief! Knock down the unused home and build the houses! let common sense prevail because believe you me when dealing with Nimbys their sense is not so common! ozpat
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree