VOLUNTEERS uncovered more treasures from the past during a second excavation at Stourbridge's Glasshouse College.
Two historic glass cones were unearthed in the grounds of the former glassworks on Wollaston Road, during a dig in March.
Due to the potential significance of the archaeological remains that were discovered, it was decided that a second dig was required.
This month’s excavation focussed on the construction of the 1830 glasshouse cone around the back of the Glasshouse Theatre, which the team discovered incorporated elements of an earlier 17th century cone that was known to be on the site.
They found long flues, acting as tunnels connecting the two cones, which were buried beneath the later warehouse buildings.
The group then explored the 1930s warehouse cellars and found glass bottles, pieces of colourful glass, beer bottles and discarded clay pipes.
Volunteers also learned how to map and catalogue their finds, which will be used to inform new landscaping at the college and displayed at the Webb Corbett Visitor Centre.
The excavation was managed by Nexus Heritage, who have been leading the excavations at the site since February, with funding provided by the Heritage Lottery.
Community volunteers were organised by the Ruskin Mill Land Trust, which runs the specialist further education college.
Councillor Judy Foster, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “The community response to this project has been overwhelming and shows just how much local people value our glassmaking heritage.
“Dudley Council’s historic environment officer has been working closely with the Glasshouse College and Nexus Heritage on this project.
"Together we have witnessed the community pride in this project and can see the regenerative benefits the historic environment and heritage assets can bring to the borough.”