RESIDENTS in Hagley, Clent and Belbroughton are advised to check bus timetables ahead of a number of changes to services set to take place from Monday September 1.

Worcestershire county councillors voted at a cabinet meeting earlier this year to scrap a number of bus services in the area, following a review of subsidised bus routes, in a bid to save £3 million.

The review means 73 services currently subsidised in the county will continue, 14 of which will run on a commercial basis.

The council said buses linking schools, rural areas, health services and providing links to shopping areas would largely remain in place but with changes to routes and frequency levels.

In addition to the alterations to subsidised buses, a number of commercial services are also being altered so all bus users are advised to check ahead of the changes.

The 192 Stourport to Kidderminster and Halesowen bus, run by Whittle Coach & Bus, is being altered to cover some of the areas affected by the axing of the 197, which is currently used by elderly residents in the villages of Clent, Hagley and Blakedown and which will cease running on Friday August 29.

County councillor John Smith, cabinet member for highways, said: “The county council needs to save around £25 million each year until 2017/18 due to funding reductions.

“We listened to the views of everyone that got in touch during the consultation and took a considered approach when it came to taking this difficult decision.

“The final outcome means the vast majority of passengers are still able to access public transport, whether that be subsidised or commercially operated, while at the same time realising a £1.4 million-a-year saving for the taxpayer.”

To check the new bus timetables visit

Assistance on planning journeys by bus around the county can be found by visiting or by calling Traveline on 0871 2002233.